As part of our ongoing commitment to keeping children safe and parent informed about online activity, on 5th March 2019 we welcomed Traci Good (an online safety consultant) into school. She worked with our classes, staff and parents.
Some key messages from the parent workshop were:
- Set parameters where possible to protect what your child sees.
- Be aware of the age restrictions on games and social media platforms.
- Any O2 store can support parents in setting up devices for children.
- Keep an open dialogue with your child about their online activity.
- Ensure settings prevent your child’s location being available for others to see online.
- Be aware that children’s behaviour can change when playing some games (e.g Fortnite)
- Give your child time boundaries, for example 10 minutes before they need to break their bond with an online activity, then 7 minutes, then 2 minutes.
- Ensure your child has at least 1 hour of screen free time before bed.
- Remove all devices from your child’s bedroom at night.
Below is a copy of the powerpoint shared at the workshop and some other useful links.